...that I felt an earthquake today.
It was small, but definitely noteworthy... to me at least.
Let me set the scene:
Twelve year old Fernanda and 7 year old Natalia are sitting across the table from me, drawing hearts and smiley faces on their very special "books of verbs" that we were creating. (Read: Allie had no lesson plan but she did have old magazines, scissors, and a glue stick.) I was cutting pictures of the Clintons out of 1992 editions of Newsweek and the girls were scribbling when I noticed a subtle shaking of the table. I assumed that it was due to a big truck passing outside... then I noticed that it was going on for way to long to be caused by a truck, and the DVD cases on the shelf were starting to rattle... I looked up and saw two blank faces starring wide-eyed in my direction.
"Uhmmm..... what's happening?" I said.
"Terremoto." squeaked Fernanda in a raspy whisper, hand clenched onto her pink pencil. Without breaking her gaze, Natalia nodded her head emphatically in agreement.
Then it stopped. The frightened looks left their faces immediately and they continued to scribble as if nothing had happened. What I found most interesting about the situation was how the children went from terrified to absolutely fine in an instant.
Oh, kids....
Besos,
Allie
6 comments:
I had no idea what was happening until someone in my class said "this is a strong one" or something with "fuerte" and i realized that the whiteboard I was writing on was not being as passive as usual.
I have also been in an earthquake while being a foreign language student! Luckily it was small, and my teacher kept laughing as usual. After class I went to see Chairman Mao's embalmed body, happy 4th of July!
I have to say, vince is the funniest bastard I've never met. I enjoy reading his comments almost as much as your most entertaining blog.
Yep. I sure am lucky to have such a fabulous Vince in my life!
Hey Allie,
I'm requesting a post on the protests in Valparaiso and Santiago on the new education law. Go get yourself teargassed or arrested if you have to.
Hey anonymous,
I don't have much to report on the protests. I did have to wade through lots of pre-protest security to get into the congress building the other day, and then I think I walked through mostly dissipated tear gas, as people were kind of running spasticly through the streets and holding scarves over their faces. It burned a little when breathing too... but yeah, thats all I have to report.
Post a Comment