Ok, so there is a little background story to this next great Chilean find. Last Saturday Julie, Lauren, and I took a day trip to Santiago. Some of Julie's students suggested that we check out Patronado, a little shopping district with cheap clothes. We were in dire need of all things warm, so off we went. Welllll, for me at least, Patronado left something to be desired. Not only were all the clothes from all the vendors basically the same, I also thought that they were overpriced for how obviously cheaply made they were. Also, it was just a lot of work. You constantly had to watch your bag to make sure people weren't trying to steal from you... even more than normally. Everyone also bumps up their prices for the gringas then you have to pretend that you don't want it, then they come after you and offer the real price blah blah... well, all this is a pretty typical experience for a gringa, but I felt like it was worse, or at least more annoying, than normal....but, BUT... I did find this t-shirt. Its a great example of the very common phenomenon of bad English on Chilean clothing. It took me awhile to figure out what it was trying to say... and even now I'm not that sure... It also crossed my mind that it was done on purpose and was some sort of play on “its all in your mind,” but I might be over thinking it... am I? Sooo confused.
Also, the sun is back, which makes me exceedingly happy.
So, right now I am about to plan an hour and a half class on the death metal band Megadeth for a 14 year old student who I am teaching tonight.... I am so excited about this. My aim: to be the coolest ELF teacher on the block. How am I doing?
Besos,
Allie
10 comments:
"Valle Hermoso" near La Ligua is a town that all they sell is sweaters for cheap to decent prices. It is kind of like Pomaire and the ceramics. Not sure how to get there without car and there is not much else to see except landscape...
I dig the shirt! And I agree with the message (intended or accidental)--it IS all in the mind...in a crazy, mixed up sort of way.
PS You are for sure the coolest ELF teacher on the block, and I know that without even having met any of the others. :)
(PPS Now that I´m trying to learn Spanish I pay more attention to my English. Did I just write ¨without even having met¨?? *IM-freakin´-POSSIBLE!*
Thanks for the tip, rook. Luckily, I was able to find some stuff in Valaparaiso. Now I am warm... and happy.
My favorite English shirt from China was a girl's (yi ge nu ha'ier de [tee-shirt]!) three-liner on the back:
I will do my best
"Carnival" is my the plesure
Everybody wants to be freedom
i want to be freedom...
This reminds me of pretty much every t-shirt in all of China. And every sign for that matter. Do Not Trample the Luxuriant Green! Beautify Environment!
1) roll print up and stick it in a tube
2) address the tube to me
3) fill tube with cheap and unregulated chilean drugs (you can get them at a place called "la farmacia" i'm told)
4) mail away
5) ???
6) PROFIT
a. the print is on some sort of canvas framed thing... so no.
b. no.
Definitely a unique find...the print, I liked it...The T-shirt...must be a girl thing...
Oh...JMHO...Miguel
Post a Comment