Sunday, May 2, 2010

San Pedro de blahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Third stop on THE JOURNEY: San Pedro de Atacama.

Everyone in Chile talks about how amazing San Pedro is. The Lonely Planet clearly loves this place too (and I read the thing cover to cover on the 20 hour bus ride). It was pretty hyped up in my eyes and I´ve sadly been rather disappointed.

The whole town of San Pedro is basically a backpacker´s resort. Every store front is a touristy restaurant, souvenir shop, internet cafe, tour agency, or hostel entrance. No one lives here. Everything is expensive, especially the fruit and veg. Cheap fruit and veg is probably my favorite thing about Chile. So, urhhhm, I´m a little sad. I just don´t feel like I´m in Chile here. I don´t even feel like I´m in South America. This whole little town could have been constructed in any tourist destination, anywhere in the world.

But, people don´t come to San Pedro for the town, they come for the excursions. I did a few, and they were pretty fun. There is some amazing scenery here.

El Valle de la Luna or Moon Valley was given it´s name because it is said to look like a moonscape. It kind of does, and it´s very pretty.

Here I am in el valle with Yayone, a fellow New York gringa who I´ve been traveling with for a few days.


El valle....



We thought it all looked very Dali-esque... and we do silly things and make ourselves laugh a lot....


The next day we got up at 3:45am to see some geysers at sunrise, the highest geyser field in the world, in fact.

Here´s a crazy Chilean, still drunk from the night before, and REALLY EXCITED about the geysers!


And here are some even crazier tourists that decided to strip down and swim in the moderately warm hot springs.



Tours aren´t my favorite way to travel, but they are really the only thing to do here. That said, I head out tomorrow for a 3 day tour through the Bolivian salt flat, the largest in the world!

Besitos,
Allie

3 comments:

lydia said...

the hot springs were fine....but getting out took more courage than anything n my life

love the dali photo!!

Matt said...

'El' Valle...

And yes, as Lydia says- the springs are hot enough but it's no fun getting back out.

Also, don't believe any Chilean who says that the El Tatio geyser field is the highest in the world...on your Salar de Uyuni trip you'll stop at one that is higher...

Remember...I'm always right :)

Unknown said...

I went to see Geysir, the name mother of all other geysers, which no longer spout water. Kind of disappointing. Chile and Iceland seem to have quite a bit in common, but then, not at all. We can discuss in person soon!