Friday, June 4, 2010

Journey complete.

Argentina is pretty, huh?



Since I last posted I've traveled all around the north of Argentina, returned to Chile, and took a five day trip to the south of Chile with Matt and dogs. Today is my goodbye party and I just spent all morning making stew and macaroni and cheese for the estimated 30 people that should be arriving in... less than an hour?

Wow, I'm exhausted. I spent nearly six weeks traveling, and they were some of the most amazing six weeks of my life. Strangely, I'm not sure why. Did I see some of the most amazing things I've ever seen? Well, probably. But mostly I'm just proud of myself. I'm not very good at new things, and for six weeks straight I did different stuff every day. I woke up in different beds, ate different foods, learned new words, and talked to new people with new and exciting accents.... After awhile, it started to feel alright. Still, I'm looking forward to having a job again, a routine... living normal life. It was good for me to press my boundaries, to remind myself that I am capable of more than I give myself credit for.

And now I have to say goodbye to... everyone? Oh my.

Anyway, Argentina.

Good friend Diego met up with me in the north of Argentina for a little jaunt around. It was amazing to see him. By that point in my trip I was really ready to see a familiar face. And who wouldn't be excited to see a face like this?


We started in Salta:



We chased goats.


GOATS!!




We went on an amazing hike through a rain forest.... and discovered the "OH MY GOD THAT'S SUCH A BIG SPIDER" spider. These spiders were everywhere. EVERYWHERE. (photo stolen from someplace on the internet)



SO BIG. Like 10 centimeters in diameter big. Like haunt your dreams for weeks at the very least (probably years) big. BIG. (this photo stolen too)



So, yeah. The spiders have been plaguing my dreams ever since.... which is pretty much normal for me anyway. It didn't help that yesterday I spent about an hour trying to identify my new little friend. This just gave me more images of scary spiders to fill my dreams, and they all managed to make some sort of appearance last night.... Why do I do this to myself?

Anyway, we took some pretty pictures of the forest with Diego's fancy pants camera...

oooooo.... mushrooms....



ahhh.... lichen...



Must buy fancy pants camera on return to the US...

We had to escape from the woods, but we couldn't find a way out. I was starting to lose it. So, we broke into a hotel...

Hardcore, huh?

Needless to say, we survived to tell the tale... And then we found this funky cemetery in the middle of the desert.


And strange little houses in the middle of nowhere...



Okay okay okay, time for me to shower off the stew residue and get ready for my despedita.... sigh.


Besitos,
Allie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful.......... what an experience. all of them! and you say you're not good at new things? why allie- redefine your version of "new"! ha! over the past few years you have done more new stuff than probably half the people you know put together! estimated, of course! ha- great memories to hold onto and share, i'm sure. so happy for you!

-your cuz, janice