Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Allie+food processor=true looooooove

My love for my food processor goes beyond the affection that many people feel for their pets. I freaking love my food processor. I bought it for $3 at a garage sale when I was in high school and it has served me faithfully ever since.

When I was packing for Chile, I only took a backpack and a small rolling suitcase. This was a bad idea since I had to re-buy many things I already had in the states, like say most basic items of clothing. Even with this limited packing space, my food processor made it into the "maybe pile" on a few occasions. I just LOVE my food processor. I left it in Bob's hands and I hope that he is caring for it well.

After talking about all the fabulous things I could do with said food processor for months to one of my friends, he suggested that I buy one here in Chile. Genius! Then, I looked at the prices and was appalled. Considering that I've had pretty crap luck with the quality of items I've bought here, I was even more appalled. Then I was sad.

Months later, I was still sad. I had a dream about making hummus and decided that on that very day, I must go out and spend money that I didn't have on a food processor. Lack of patience coupled with lack of selection led me to buy a strange hand held kitchen multi-tool which included an attachment that vaguely looked like a small food processor. I made pesto once, was moderately pleased with it's performance and promptly forgot about the hummus, until today!

Yes! This thing makes hummus and it makes it well! But wait.... it is sweet. Strangely, the tahini that I have been buying here for months now has sugar.... a lot of sugar. So, I have sweet hummus, but it is hummus none the less. Garlicy, smooth, sweet, sweet hummus. And, it's not that bad.

After I finished the hummus, this conversation took place with my friend referred to above. I wont mention names in order to protect his privacy.

"Hey, do you want to try some hummus? It's sweet!"

"No!"

"Have you ever had hummus?"

"Hummus is for jews and gay people."

"... and vegetarians?"

"No difference, you are all evil! ...and the same!"


Isn't he sweet?

Hummus makes me evil and I love it.

Besos,
Allie

8 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

If hummus makes people evil than I'm the devil. Although I make mine in a blender. Works all the same :)

Hmmm, speaking of, I just happen to have some garbanzos, lemons, garlic and tahini on hand. Think I'll start soaking the garbanzos tonight. You've inspired me!

Allison Azersky said...

I haven't had the best results with hummus made in a blender. I must be spoiled by how creamy a food processor makes it.

Where do you get your tahini? What brand is it?

lydia said...

yeah i did the blender thing too and didn't notice it lacking creaminess...

we were just talking today about how my hummus came out too sweet! Jumbo, for a month in a row, was out of the freaking tahini so i bought sesame paste instead, HOPING it would function similarly. it did but it gave the hummus a sweet flavor that was OK but kinda weird with the garlic.

I tried the huge Lider in vina with imported stuff and they were all out of tahini today too.

Anonymous said...

Whatever Vegetarians are hot. Have you seen Peta's banned Superbowl advertisement...

http://www.peta.org/content/standalone/VeggieLove/Default.aspx

Allison Azersky said...

Now that I think of it, the blender I first tried it with was probably a decade older than me....

Catie, I love that ad! I can't believe that it was banned. There is way worse stuff than that on TV all the time.

sophie said...

Let me guess does the name of your friend begin with a M ?

Anonymous said...

um yuuuuuuuuuuuum I miss your specialty huuuuuummus.

i know the food processor you speak of. i concur that it is a good one.

i wonder how people made hummus before food processors existed. isn't it an ancient food?

-Nellka

ceplos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.