Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hair and Hike

During my first week in Chile, Luciano, the director of the Spanish school I was attending, did his best to acclimate me to my new surroundings. This included tours of Vina and Valpo with less of a tourist spin. For example, we covered the intricacies of the local bus system, where to find los completos mas ricos, and the cheapest haircuts in town.

Cheapest haircuts in town.... I too was skeptical if this was a good thing. Do I want the cheapest haircut? I don't know..... maybe I could settle for the 3rd or 4th cheapest haircut....

Well, when the time for me to get my first haircut came, I could still barely say a thing in Spanish, and therefore, wasn't really capable of asking where a reliable but mid price range salon was located, so off I went to the cheapest place in town.

The place that was pointed out to me turned out to be a whole galeria, or small indoor shopping center, of mini salons. The building was constructed with an internal spiral shape.... something I clearly am unable to descibe. Regardless, the walls are cotton candy pink. I picked a random store front and went for it. The haircut turned out surprisingly good, and to be exactly what I wanted. Girls, I'm sure you all know that that is difficult to find, even when there is not a language barrier involved. On top of that, it only cost me 2,000 pesos (about $4).

I've been going back to this place even since. The woman who owns the place tells me every time I come in that all the girls in Paris have my hair style. Yesterday when I arrived, she was excited to show me magazines that her daughter had sent her from Switzerland featuring many shots of my hair style. What can I say? I'm an international trend setter.

Hair style pictured below:



Last weekend I hiked Cerro La Campana with two friends. Read someone else's blog post for more information.

"Mountain! Hike it!!"



View from the top:



Someone trying to send a text message:




Team Awesome:



Good work, team.

Besos,
Allie

3 comments:

ALEX said...

YAY! I have *almost* the same haircut! I guess I must be internationally cool too? mine is about an inch longer tho...

Allison Azersky said...

what?!? you are so cool and nyc.... i must see it! facebook?

ALEX said...

There are pics on facebook.