Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 6: South Dakota

Ohmygoodness, I just loved this day.

Mitchell South Dakota boasts the title of being the home to the world's only Corn Palace. Ta da!



And we just happened to arrive during the annual Corn Palace festival.



We marveled at the palace, which is redecorated every year with new murals made out of various varieties of corn and other grains.



We sampled the local delicacies. Meredith went for a hot dog.



And I gave deep fried pickles a try. They were alright, but I won't be having them again. It seems like the local philosophy on food is to do as much to it as humanly possible before putting it in your mouth. When faced with a cucumber: pickle, batter, fry, dip in ranch dressing. Yes.



Then we stumbled upon a MASSIVE antique store. I staggered around, overwhelmed beyond words, for about an hour. I wanted to buy EVERYTHING. I just couldn't decide. It was so good that it became torturous... does that make any sense? Probably not. Anyway, I picked up some kitchen gadgets and a book that none of you would even believe. Ask to see it when (yes, WHEN) you come visit.



Then we hit the Badlands.



Pretty!



We ended the day in Rapid City at the home of Alfred, our couch surfing host. We hit it off right away and soon found ourselves chatting into the night about our own respective Long Island Italian American families and Jewish grandmothers. (Yes, we both have those!) Stay tuned for more about Alfred and his culinary genius in day 7's wrap up!

Besitos,
Allie

No comments: