What's new?
I have lots of students! I'm making more than twice as much than I used to make in Valparaiso! Great, huh? It's keeping me busy. I like to be busy.
But, what is this post really about?
America. (Don't you make us press more buttons!!)

America. Land of scary birds of prey. And God.

America, where all your (corporately sponsored) dreams can come true.

America. We got pride. (Wait, is that guy an immigrant?!?)

As I am sure you are all aware, Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I am the only American that I know of in Santa Cruz, so my original Thanksgiving plans looked something like me making a pumpkin pie (and possibly some stuffing) and eating in my PJs by myself in front of the TV (okay, maybe with boyfriend). Can you think of anything more American than binging on junk food alone in (Chinese made) sweat pants in front of a (Chinese made) TV?!? I think not. (Okay, fine. Maybe I could also complain about the gays, or the evils of providing access to health care to all, or I could speculate over where the next shooting massacre will take place...)
There is, however, an American woman who lives in Santiago that is opening a restaurant/building a house in Santa Cruz and therefore spends a lot of time in the area. She, being the sweetheart that she is, asked if I wanted company for the holiday. What an idea! I thought about inviting her over to partake in a pie/Law and Order SVU/sweatpants marathon, but then I realized the opportunity at hand. What a great excuse to make a big ridiculous meal for a bunch of people!!! What a great opportunity to cook with ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, celery and mushrooms!! (All foods which the boyfriend doesn't like. Sure, I can cook with them whenever I want, but then I'd have to eat by myself.)
So, I'm going all out. Roast chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, veggies, and pumpkin pie.
Does anyone have ideas for veggie side dishes? We don't have sweet potatoes or squash. No green beans. It's not brussel sprout season here. I was thinking about roasted asparagus and/or maybe something with carrots?
I just want to say that I love Thanksgiving. It's a holiday with no real (at least no good) reason behind it. It's like our second Independence Day. Only this one is during fall, where big family sit down dinners are preferable to outdoor barbecues. It's cozy. I get to make/eat lots of pie. I like it.
Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans! To everyone else, if you come over next week, I'll share my pie with you! :)
Besos,
Allie
3 comments:
dude after reading your blogs I am even more excited to come visit. I was starting to think I couldn't afford it, but sitting in class in dark nov seattle and looking at your beautiful photos and reading your allie-esque blogs is really motivating!
beets...red like cranberry sauce...look for a recipe that roasts them in the oven with a honey ginger sauce and change the ginger for cinnamon
i love thanksgiving too, allie. what could be better than a holiday where you have permission, obligation in fact, to overeat and where there's none of the stress of gift buying and receiving! i usually make a squash soup but you could definitely have carrot instead or any other dish where you subbed carrots for squash. i personally would/will miss the green beans. enjoy! k
Post a Comment