Thursday, April 23, 2009

Porotos Granados.

My favorite Chilean food.



Also, the only vegetarian Chilean dish that I know of, besides cheese empanadas and "vegetarian plates" that consist only of chopped cold veggies and queso fresco (fresh cheese). Right, so it's the only warm vegetarian dish I know that can be considered a well rounded meal.

I always order this when it is available in restaurants, and I am usually a little disappointed. It often seems almost perfect but lacking a little in flavor. My recipe adds white wine, an aji (chili pepper) and copious amounts of basil. Just enough flavor to complement the natural yummyness of all the fresh veggies.

Although porotos granados is a dense vegetable and bean stew, it falls under the category of summer food, as that is when the fresh beans are available at the market. Fresh beans, by the way, are fantastic. They are firm, yet creamy, and they have a subtle flavor unlike anything you will ever find in dried or canned beans. Granados are relatively large and white, and they come in delightful pink pods.


Another main ingredient is zapallo (or zapallo camote... anyone know what the difference is?), a large pumpkin like squash bought in chunks at the market or grocery store.

My recipe for porotos granados is an altered version of this recipe, which is in Spanish. For those not in Chile, or those craving this dish out of season, canned or dried beans could probably also be used, although I've never tried. Below I have posted two recipes, one for how I currently make the dish, and another for how I would try to make the dish with ingredients I know are available in the United States.


Porotos Granados de la Allie

Ingredients:

1 kilo porotos granados, shelled
1 chunk of zapallo, skinned and cut into large chunks
1 vegetable stock cube
splash of olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
1 large aji (chili) pepper
2-3 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup or so of cheap white wine
1 small bunch (or half of a large bunch) fresh basil, washed and coarsely chopped


Put the shelled granados, stock cube, and zapallo in a pot with enough water to cover. Start them cooking on a low boil while you prepare the other ingredients.

Saute onion, garlic and aji pepper in olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add the carrot, tomatoes, wine, salt, pepper, keep cooking. Add the zapallo when soft, but continue to cook the beans separately. Mash the zapallo and tomatoes into the mixture by pressing them against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. When the beans are soft and creamy, add them and about a cup and a half of the cooking liquid to the vegetable mixture and continue to cook for about 15 minutes. You can add more cooking liquid if you want a soupier result, less if you want more of a paste. Add basil and cook for a few more minutes.

Toast some pan batido and enjoy! Think of how proud your Chilean grandmother would be!


Porotos Granados, North American Style

Ingredients:

2 cans white beans
1/2 butternut or buttercup squash, or a large chunk of pumpkin, cut into big chunks (... or even a can of pumpkin could work)
1 vegetable stock cube (if using fresh, not canned, squash/pumpkin)
a splash of olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
1 mild chili pepper (optional)
1 large carrot, grated
2-3 tomatoes, chopped... or even 3-4 whole canned plum tomatoes without the juice
1/4 cup or so cheap white wine
1 bunch fresh basil (yes, the fresh part is important for this ingredient)
1/2-1 tsp salt (may need less if canned ingredients are used)
pepper to taste


If using fresh squash/pumpkin, cover with water, throw in a stock cube, and boil until soft.

Saute onions, garlic, and optional chili pepper until onions are soft. Add carrot, tomatoes, wine, salt and pepper. Cook until tomatoes start to break down. Add squash/pumpkin and press the tomatoes and squash against the side of the pot until you have a creamy yet still a little chunky consistency. Add the cans of beans and about 1 cup of the squash cooking liquid/vegetable stock, adding more liquid if a soupier result is desired. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add the basil and cook for a few more minutes.

Serve with corn bread, biscuits, or a fresh loaf of crusty seeded whole wheat bread. Enjoy!


(Did anyone else notice that the Chile version of this recipe calls for mostly fresh ingredients while in the North American one, three of the ingredients could be canned? )

Look, it is favorite cat!



Look, it is a beautiful day!



I was just hanging out on the terrace, trying to absorb all the sun I can before it goes away again...

Besos,
Allie

6 comments:

FrugalProfessor said...

Allie, I just stumbled across your blog while trying to look up a Chilean porotos recipe.

I was a missionary in San Bernardo, Santiago, and Rancagua for 2 years from 2000-2002. I loved the food, the people, and the scenery. I miss it a bunch.

I read about your recent move to Santa Cruz. That's near my old stomping grounds.

Anyway, enjoy Chile. You'll miss it a bunch once you're gone.

Allison Azersky said...

Hey Brian, thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy the recipe. I'll soak in as much of Chile as I can and send it in your direction! :)

Robert Correa said...

Allie, greetings from Santiago!! I was looking for a good recipe for zapallo (besides porotos granados, creamed zapallo and sopapillas)no such luck. So, I will attempt your version of Porotos Granados and see how it turns out. Have you ever tried the Peruvian Locro recipe? Hm, ok, on my way to Lider to see if they have any porotos in the frozen section.

It was nice to read about another American on this side of the world.
Angie

Allison Azersky said...

Hi Angie! Give this recipe a try substituting zapallo for the butternut squash: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01/clouds-in-sunset-or-roasted-butternut.html
In my opinion, it is the best way possible to eat zapallo!

Amanda Kristeen said...

I also ran across your blog looking for a porotos granados recipe. ;) I served my mission in Santiago and this was my favorite food! I also love humitas. Have you had those yet? Enjoy Chile and all the wonderful people!

Amanda Kristeen said...

whoops, I just saw how old this post was and that you already left Chile. I guess we can miss it together - I got back a year ago.