Saturday, February 23, 2008

Valparaíso, te quiero.

On Thursday afternoon I went to Valparaíso, and I fell madly into an all consuming, throbbing, passionate love. (Sorry, Seattle!) Picture an old crumbly European style city with windy little streets and hundred year old ornate architecture painted fabulously bright colors all on the side of a mountain falling into the sea. That plus the best graffiti ever all over everything. Ughh. Just writing about it makes me tingle. Once I get a little more on my feet, I'm going to look for a place in Valparaíso, and be the happiest girl in the universe when I wake up every morning.

Yesterday I laid out on the beach and realized that I must be the whitest person in Chile, if not South America. Even still, for some reason, people usually assume I'm Chilean until I open my mouth. Someone told me that its because I don't dress like an American, which I suppose has some truth to it...

Okay... Pictures!!

This is the customs building. It was the first building that was built in the city and still functions as a customs office today. I love that it's bright pink...



This is a Navy, or Armada building.



Port!

So, one of the main challenges of building a city on the side of a multiple steep hills is getting people up and down. Thats why they built ancensors, or elevators to bring people around. They are kind of like street cars that go mostly vertically. Here is a picture taken from inside a car on its way up.


Word on the street is that about a year ago there was a gas leak and a huge explosion that blew up most of a city block. This is a piece of what's left.
Vince, I'm in a pretty developed area, so I haven't been able to see many stars. I'll let you know if I ever get out someplace more rural. Also, I asked if there were any Pinochet monuments still around and I got just about the dirtiest look ever from everyone in the room. Thanks. :)

Besos,
Allie

No comments: